Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Another Post About Food

I'm taking care of all the animals and the house as my mom and step dad go on vacation for a couple of days which means I can make whatever I want for dinner.

Sadly, when I moved back home, I share dinner with my parents, mostly my step dad because my mom works shifts in a town three hours away. He has criticized me for only liking 'pasta' and kraft dinner even though I have a larger palate than that. His comments are hilarious considering his idea of dinner is the following: Meat, potatoes, a peice of bread and beans. Sometimes he'll have a side of corn, or green beans, or potato salad, or coleslaw but that's pretty much what it is. If he makes spaghetti, he makes it as a side.

Whenever I offer to make dinner, the only thing I can make for him is Sheppard's Pie since he won't eat my Penne dish, quiches or anything other than his dinner layout.

As soon as they left I zipped off to the grocery store and spent 70 bucks to make food for the next four days (and probably will last over awhile anyways). Tonight I am going to make Butter Chicken with Balsmati rice and naan bread. Tomorrow for lunch I'll make pitas. I also have some left over bananas so I'll be making banana bread.

I wanted to share two of my favourite recipes that I've made that I really enjoy, so this seems just as good as time as ever.

Three Cheese Chicken Penne
This recipe came from Kraft's What's Cooking Magazine that comes out four times a year. This one is a baked penne that tastes just like something you'd order at a restaurant.

Ingredients

1-1/2 cups multigrain penne pasta, uncooked
1 pkg. (283 g) fresh baby spinach leaves
1 lb. (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tsp. Dried basil leaves
1-1/2 cups (1/2 of 700-mL jar) pasta sauce
1-2/3 cups (1/2 of 796-mL can) diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese Spread
1 cup Mozzarella Shredded Cheese, divided
2 Tbsp. Parmesan Light Grated Cheese

Heat the oven to 375 F. Cook the pasta as you normally would. When the pasta is cooked, add the spinach into the water and boil it for a minute. Drain and set aside.

Cut up the chicken into one inch pieces. Heat up a skillet and add the chicken and basil leaves, cooking them for about three minutes until the chicken is completly cooked. Set aside.

In a sauce pan, add the jar of sauce and the cream cheese. Heat up the sauce until the cream cheese melts. Add the diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.

In a 8 inch square baking dish, pour in the pasta and spinach. Add the chicken into the sauce and pour over the pasta. Bake for 20 minutes. Top with mozzarella and parmesan and bake for 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Peanut Butter Toberlone Cheese Cake
I love this cheesecake because it's so easy and a no-bake.

Ingredients

1-1/4 cups Oreo Baking Crumbs
1/4 cup Butter, melted
2 pkg. (250 g each) Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup Smooth Peanut Butter
1 cup Sugar
2 bars (100 g each) Toblerone Swiss Milk Chocolate, chopped, divided
1-1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping, divided (or any whipped dessert topping)

Mix the crumbs and 1/4th of the butter together and press into a spring form pan. Refigerate for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and peanut butter with a mixer (or by hand if you hate mixers like I do) until well blended. Add half of the chopped chocolate and 1 cup of the whipped dessert topping. Mix well. Pour into the pan on top of the Oreo crumbs. Refigerate for a minimum of three hours.

Microwav 1/2 cup of the whipped dessert topping and the remaining chocolate for about a minute on high. Stir until well blended. Pour ontop of the cheesecake. Remove the rim from the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment